October 7, 2010
Over the last few days, there was a buzz around Facebook coming up with new design changes. Today, we came across 1st set of their innovations in design and communication.
Seems Collaborative Environment is one of the most important topic in Facebook’s mind. They introduced groups which is quiet different than the regular Facebook Groups.
What I like about this new innovation by Facebook, is this does breaks the mindset of many people on Facebook.
The most important thing is “The New Facebook Groups” are not just groups but it has many features towards collaborative management.
Let me share few screen-shots and then further describe it:
Highlights of the Group:
Group chats / Document creation, sharing and editing
Create a dedicated email id for your group
- Collaborative Environment (Excellent stuff and very much needed)
- Create specific groups around specific topics and add only those friends who might be relevant
- You can also set these groups “open, Closed & Secret :)”
- Group Chats with everyone in the group
- Set a desired email id for your group, it looks like this : firstname.lastname@example.org (Rocking!!)
- Create Documents which can be edited by anyone of the group, just like “Google docs” or any other collaborative
- Planning and a Brainstorming tool
- Gather information from your friends at one place
- Control your groups & Content
- Frequent notifications from the group, sometimes irritating if one doesn’t know how to get rid of this.
But there is a solution too! Edit the notification settings and switch off the necessary notifications
- Bugs are not notified so far
Few Tips on how and who can start using these Groups:
- Students on Projects
- Employees within an organization
- Friends amongst their friends (:) Needless to say this)
- Celebrities who may want to have group chats with their fans than through their profiles
- Brands on specific Campaigns who wish to interact with their consumers to discuss further on it.
- NGOs who may want to spread the message on a particular event, initiative etc
- Politicians and their parties can start these groups to interact with their voters
- The hassle of creating dedicated pages for campaigns and events ends here. You may want to create a group and temporarily invite your consumers, to interact and get engaged on various initiatives
- PR professionals can form a group on various verticals and share news worthy stories, discussions, queries etc
- Spokesperson of organizations can even start these groups and invite media & PR professionals to discuss and make specific announcements followed by queries, questions & discussions